Tuesday, June 19, 2007

I'll do anything if you can get Journey out of my head

The boys from Journey have been holding my brain hostage now for about eight days. "Don't Stop Believin'" has been in my head pretty much nonstop since it featured so prominently in the Sopranos finale, two Sundays ago. I can't go a half hour without the record player in my head hitting me with that unmistakable "Just a small town girl..." prompting me to sing a few bars myself.

Don't believe me? Ask my coworkers. Steve Perry is my mental jailer, his searing vocals my prison bars.

Apparently I'm not alone. The 1981 hit has made it to No. 1 on the iTunes music rock chart.

Kind of fitting, I guess, since the Sopranos finale has been kicking around in my head for more than a week now, too. It says something when a TV show is so rich and complicated that it leaves you thinking about it for days after.

At first, I thought Tony was dead. Then I said in this space that he was alive. But now I'm certain that he's dead, in part because of show producer David Chase's post-show line "It's all there," and in part because of this incredibly well reasoned and well researched piece, which the author has considerately whittled down to a manageable 5,000 words.

In case you don't have the 20 minutes to read the link, I'll summarize: It was Tony's last supper.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try listening to "Wheel in the Sky." That will be in your head for 8 days too, but at least "Don't Stop Believin'" will be vanquished. Steve Perry has a power that is beyond any of us. I bet my sister would be happy to have your problem.

June 19, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good thing mrs. n-b doesn't play it *incessantly* on the piano like bean does.

it'll be seared in my brain until the next time i hear "smile" by lily allen on the radio. (ok, my ipod)

June 19, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Flintstones, Meet the Flintstones
They're a modern stone age family
From the, town of Bedrock
They're a page right out of history
Let's ride, with the family down the street
Through the, courtesy of Fred's two feet
When you're, with the Flintstones
Have a yabba, dabba, doo time
A dabba doo time
We'll have a gay, old time!

You're Welcome!

June 23, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home