Monday, September 25, 2006

What I learned from Alex P. Keaton

I caught Michael J. Fox on "Inside the Actors Studio" the other day and realized that his portrayal of Alex P. Keaton in Family Ties had a more than minor impact on me when I was a kid.

I didn't just look up to Alex P. Keaton -- I wanted to be just like him. Good at money, good at Scrabble, good at loving Ronald Reagan.

But I suppose it wasn't just Alex P. Keaton I loved. I even followed his fictional footsteps when I tried a turn in politics briefly, though my guy was a little brighter than Barry Bostwick's portrayal of the vapid Randall M. Winston Jr. in Spin City.

And looking back on it, Fox is probably the reason I used my middle initial until I went to college. That's right -- way back then I was Natural J. Blog.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Natty B.J.

Why did you stop?

September 25, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Today's blog nugget brings to mind the name given to our 37th president by the 'Forgotten Americans:'

Richard E. Nixon

September 25, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Clearly you looked down upon Mallory and her hunky trash sculptor boyfriend Nick.

September 25, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Money? Check.
Scrabble? Check.
So how's that Reagan thing going ?

September 26, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home