Thursday, September 21, 2006

The wild card remains in play

Now that the Red Sox are mathematically guaranteed to finish behind the Yankees for a ninth straight season, I will come clean about my own failure this baseball season.

Way back in April, I made an important life-affirming decision: I was no longer going to follow the Yankees.

For Red Sox fans such as myself, following the Yankees is something is something of a second national pasttime. It used to be that I couldn't go to bed without checking the ESPNews crawl one more time to see if the Yanks were leading or trailing.

But this year, I decided, it would be different. No more rooting against another team. It's just too exhausting. I even threw out my Yankee Hater cap. I was done defining myself by dislike of another. From here on out, it was just going to be positive thoughts about the team I liked. If the Yanks were on ESPN, I'd change the channel. If the Sox were playing the Yanks, I'd watch through clenched teeth.

This was a great strategy, so long as the Sox were in first. But as soon as they slipped behind the Yanks in late summer, like they always do, I was back to scoreboard watching and wishing ill upon A-Rod, Abreu, and the rest.

Of course, now I've pretty much given that up as well, as the Sox flirt with third place.

A baseball plan hasn't bombed this bad since my fantasy baseball strategy, so it's back to the drawing board for me. Good thing there's always next year.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Somewhere in the blogosphere, a Cubbies fan is regretting a similar vow about the St. Louis Cardinals.

Then again, at least we have someone to hate. Who is there in the NL West? Curse you sporadically good SF Giants!

September 21, 2006  
Blogger Jack McDoer said...

at least your team spends 125 million.

congrats on the par.

September 21, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home