Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Stuff I root for

Sometimes, when people watch a sporting event, they'll root for something like a home run, or maybe a grand slam. I like to take it one step further. Actually, about 30 steps further.

Before attending a game, I like to pick something that is exceedingly rare -- like a steal of home, for example -- and root for that. Once a couple years ago when I saw the Red Sox play the White Sox at Fenway Park, I decided to root for someone to hit for the cycle. David Ortiz (6 RBI) did his best to oblige, but the ball hit in his fifth at bat was his second homer instead of a triple. If only it had hit off the centerfield wall, we could've had a chance.

I thought of this because my similarly obsessed friend Bean Stringfellow decided to count how many double plays the Mets turn this year.

When you're as strange as I am, it's always nice to have a friend who's stranger.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i prefer to use the word "eccentric"

May 01, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I prefer to use the word "crazy"

May 09, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home