Monday, April 14, 2008

Bored Game

Mrs. N-B and I took in a delightful three-hour musical about Chess yesterday. The tickets were free, courtesy of the widget factory where I'm employed. If you think three hours of people pantomiming playing chess (and singing about it) would be boring, then you're right.

I shouldn't be so flip. It was clever of the guys from Abba, who wrote the musical in the early 1980s, to portray the Cold War as a chess match. They even threw in a sexy love-triangle. (Life later imitated art -- 2d item.)

But the best part about Chess the Musical is the one-time No. 3 hit "One Night in Bangkok," made famous on U.S. pop charts by Murray Head. Never heard of it? Here's a refresher.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, NB, for steering the blog into the realm of musical theater. You lose me on the fantasy sports posts, but now you're all up in my stuff. You are truly a gentleman of varied and and sophisticated interests.

Unfortunately, I too recently had the misfortune of taking in this musical, but I saw it done by a community theater group. Imagine it not only being what it is, but then being done incredibly poorly. Ouch. The actor who was supposed to play the Bobby Fisher character lost his voice on opening night, so they found some 50-year-old guy who'd played the part before (probably 25 years before)and sort of still knew it most of the show. I figured at least there would at least be nothing that could ruin the fun of "One Night in Bangkok," but I was wrong. His reading the lyrics off index cards did the trick.

I, too, get my kicks above the waistline, sunshine.

April 14, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home