Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Comics pages

While I'm not as much of a comics connoisseur as my sister, I have had a long appreciation for the funny pages. My favorite as a kid was Garfield, mostly because illustrator Jim Davis (or one of his assistants, more likely) was kind enough to answer a fan letter I wrote at age 8. I also liked the fat cat because we were both born around the same time, though I am about two months older.

There are a pair of web sites that take a little luster off the comic strip, and I wanted to share them since I thought they were pretty clever.

First up, we've got Garfield minus Garfield. It's the strip reimagined without any Garfield, only Jon Arbuckle. It's pretty depressing.


Another take on the same idea is called Arbuckle. This gist of it is that since Garfield is a cat, Jon can't read his thought bubbles, and therefore spends his days talking to himself.


I like it because the comics are redrawn by fans of the site. There's a lot of variety there.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Further proof that Garfield is the dumbest comic strip ever.

March 26, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what's with all the Garfield hatred? I just don't get it.

Don't get me started on "Zippy"...

March 26, 2008  
Blogger Cedar said...

You know, I like to mock Garfield as much as anyone (probably more so), but the kids at the after school program I volunteer at really get a kick out of reading the books. I guess he has a real appeal for kids, just like he did for me.

April 08, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home