Monday, April 21, 2008

State holiday

Of all the fake Massachusetts holiadys (including but not limited to Evacuation Day and Bunker Hill Day), Patriots Day is my favorite. It has a little bit of everything -- a baseball game that starts at 11 a.m., a reenactment of the battles of Lexington and Concord, and 25,200 people running 26.2 miles from Hopkinton to Boston.

It's tough for me to capture in words just why it's fun to stand on Beacon Street and shout encouragement to thousands of people I don't know. It just is. Maybe because of the beer. Who knows.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I miss Marathon Monday. I think my favorite was the year my friends had a place on Hereford and Newbury and we drank beer and cheered for the runners and played kickball all day long. Ahh....good times.

April 21, 2008  
Blogger Cedar said...

I heard a rumor that what the rest of the country calls "President's Day" is called Lincoln's Birthday in MA, and then you have your own President's Day to celebrate specifically the presidents from MA. Is that true?

April 27, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home