Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Finally, a reason to visit the Quad Cities

A bathroom supply company is out with its finalists for the Best Bathroom of 2005 award, which goes to a public restroom. The winner will be announced sometime next month.

Among the finalists are the Quad Cities International Airport in Moline, Illinois, as well as the Hemenways restaurant in Providence, R.I.

I have been to Hemenways, and must say I was pleased with the restroom. (I think I was more pleased with the oysters. Hopefully, the oysters won't be the reason you have to visit the Hemenways restroom.)

For me, the keys to a nice restroom are spaciousness, your choice of towels or hand-dryers, and absolutely under no circumstances should there be an attendant. I do not need an audience.

I think one of the best restrooms locally is at the the State Room in downtown Boston. It's like a Roman bath, really, and the water is very soft.

Your thoughts welcome.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been to the restrooms at the Quad-Cities International Airport.

Probably more than once.

I have to say, I don't remember them at all. Perhaps that's the true mark of a good restroom. When there's nothing disgusting to remember them by. Like wads of wet toilet paper all over the floor or no hand dryer and an empty paper towel holder. I'm thinking specifically of the bathrooms at Daisy Buchanan's. And I haven't been there in over a year.

Go Q-C!

March 22, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

NaturalBl0g-

I think I'd give a "Surprisingly Clean Where You Least Expect It" Award to the restrooms at Suffolk Downs Race Track.

It must pale in comparison to a Hemenway's (I've never been), but really, would you expect that race track bathroom to be as clean as it is?

Perhaps I've hit on a topic for another column. And when you do post that one....it would give new meaning to "post time".

March 22, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The alley behind Daisy's is cleaner than the bathrooms there.

March 22, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never been a big fan of the hand dryer concept, especially after hearing that a school lab project tested the air and found it to be dirtier than the inside of the toilet bowl. But I have to give props to the 2 second jet engine bathroom dryers Natural Blog pointed out at Big City in Boston...

March 22, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was in the Boston Public Library restrooms yesterday. Notable for nothing else but that it is filthy and disgusting, but everything is automated so you need touch nothing but your zipper. It's as if the builders realized, "We know it's filthy and disgusting, and bums and crackheads frequent it with some regularity, and we did something about it."

Kudos to those bathroom builders. You made my BPL BR visit A-OK.

March 23, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home