Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Not so good the second time around

I'm sure this has been going on for years, but I've noticed a couple of examples recently of companies ripping off old songs and changing the lyrics to suit the product.

The new ad for Kraft cheese crumbs features a take on the smash hit Unbelievable by EMF, which believe it or not made it to No. 1 on the US charts in 1991. I bet Kraft was actually able to get EMF to perform the song (Crumbelievable, sted Unbelievable), since I can only imagine that these days they're working at a car wash or possibly in sanitation.

And the Go-Go's got a second take in the new Pizza Hut ad We got the Meat, instead of We got the Beat. This does not make me want to Go-Go to Pizza Hut, at least not as much as Jessica Simpson did.

Most annoying in this trend is a recent Applebee's ad where two jamokes sing new lyrics to the theme from Gilligan's Island. The chances of me going to Appleby's before these ads were pretty slim, but now they're thinner than Bob Denver in his heydey.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's Appleby's ad is THE WORST. I want to knife-fight those guys.

April 19, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home