Friday, January 12, 2007

Long Overdue Props, Vol. IV

I was flipping through the channels in the yawning void that is daytime television when I happened upon comic gold: Pee Wee's Big Adventure. The 1985 tour de force has withstood the test of time, and it is now eligible for the fourth installment of the NaturalBlog's very occasional series, Long Overdue Props.

Paul Reubens as Pee Wee and director Tim Burton, obviously students of Strunk & White, omit anything needless. Their jokes contain no unnecessary words, their scenes no unnecessary jokes, their movie no unnecessary scenes.

Like alcohol distilled again and again for great potency, what we're left with is hilarious. For proof, I suggest you look no further than Large Marge.


She's the ghost Pee Wee encounters on his trip from home to the Alamo, in search of his stolen bike. I won't recap the encounter, because I couldn't do it any funnier than this page.

Suffice it to say, every scene is this funny. I say buy this film.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is the best movie ever. Damn Francis ... but it seriously made me think I could go to jail for cutting off a matress tag.

January 12, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YES! I received this DVD as a birthday gift, naturally, and it seems they fixed those favorite scenes where you can see the Hollywood magic. We can no longer see the endless chain that P.W. ties his bike up with coming up through the bottom of the box, or the street signs being pulled past the camera on a track... But thankfully, Pee Wee's great drag scene as Mickey's wife still remains, brilliant as ever.

January 12, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I JUST tried to reference the movie the other day - I picked up a couple of cookies in the kitchen for my friends, and wanted to give it to them a la Pee Wee with the popcorn at the end of the movie: pretend I forgot, then throw them up in the air.
They didn't get the reference.
Just sad, really.

January 12, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My grammar school principal (and his wife) were in this film- walking by randomly while Pee-Wee was parking his bike early on...true story

January 12, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would nominate the Pee-Wee/Large Marge ticket for 08, but that would be an exact repeat of the two characters currently holding those jobs. Funny how life can be a bad imitation of good art.

January 13, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home