Thursday, January 04, 2007

Everyone at school picks on the pöpli kids -- even I do

Please, come by the house and relax in my Ektorp, as you bask in the warm light of my Tostarp. And when you get hungry, join me at the Jokkmokk for some dinner.

Mrs. N-B and I have slowly begun outfitting our home with furniture from Ikea. The Swedish chain's Massachusetts location opened last year to great fanfare and police details.

The only way I can explain a trip to Ikea is by comparing it to Disney World. It seems even bigger, though the parking lots are (mercifully) not named after Swedish cartoon characters. ("Honey, remember that we're parked in Oupplouloff!") Such an Ikea idea is not such a stretch, of course, because everything has Swedish names. Like the kids playland (Smalworld).

But the real draw is not the moderately priced assemble-it-yourself furniture. No, it is the delicious Swedish Meatballs. Only $5, and they come with Ligonberry sauce and potatoes. Don't shop hungry.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never been to Disney (and I'm NOT a Communist, naysayers), but I'm pretty sure Ikea is better. At least the screaming kids at Ikea are tempered by affordable leather furniture and yummy meatballs, not creepy dwarves.

January 04, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ikea could soon be coming to my "hemstad" at Assembly Square Plaza. If so, I drink Kristall pear soda and scarf up lingonberry jam all and every day.

January 04, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I evacuated during Katrina, the Houston Ikea posted a sign advertising a free meal for anyone with a Louisiana drivers license. I consumed 37 Swedish meatballs and two frosty glasses of lingonberry drink that day.

Did free meatballs make up for watching my city destroyed and the ensuing humanitarian disaster in American history? Yes. Yes it did.

In fact, I affectionately refer to Katrina as Hurricane Meatball. Good times.

January 04, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Even without the meatballs, this shit will look great with the HWC. Congrats !

January 04, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home