Thursday, March 01, 2007

Fantasy baseball's name game

It's the time of year where I rack my brain for hours on end, seeking the right blend of brevity, wit, irreverence, class, geekiness and history.

I'm not talking about my blog entries (though I could be, mind you), but the name for my fantasy baseball team. Teams (plural), actually, since I'm doing three leagues this year.

In the No Crying in Baseball league, I'm leaning toward Marla Hooch, playing on the reference to A League of Their Own. Last year in this league, I chose Team To Be Named in the preseason and never changed it, save for the brief period when I was in first place and made myself Your Mom, as in "I'm No. 1, because nobody beats 'Your Mom.'"

In my East Coast Bias league, I'm Closer By Committee, a nod to my pitching strategy. In the Orange Couch league, I'll be Wade's Chicken OCD, due in large part to the naming requirements of the league. Also because "Dice-K's Impossibly High Expectations" goes beyond the 20-character maximum.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I gave up on being creative with fantasy baseball.

Though I have been tempted to try out such names as:

"Nomar, No Mah" - for moving to boston

"Done in 60 days" - as a shout out to my home town team of the Cubs

or my most recent favorite, as taken from another team, "Pedro Cerrano", or a twist on that, "Screw you Jo Boo"

March 01, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Forget the baseball, does the name of your league mean a sweet orange couch is in our future?

March 01, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I typically go with "Gentlemen Schemers" but have used "CMB" as well.

March 01, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is Mrs NB making fun of the orange couch?? it is Sweet...very much so. I hope she isn't being sarcastic.

By the way...I have to type "lqobqcnd" to post this comment. What the heck?? This site is becoming a lot of work.

March 05, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home