Wednesday, November 14, 2007

But who's minding the IT department?

I'm sorry that I missed a documentary on the Independent Film Channel the other night called "Darkon," which looked at the world of live-action role playing. If you don't know what that is, and I didn't before the other day, I'll explain it in these two simple steps.

1. Imagine a small army comprised of IT people who talk down to you all day and baristas who have personal conversations with coworkers while they ignore you in the Starbucks line.

2. Now imagine all these people acting out a battle in a fake world of their creation in a park on a Saturday morning.

Here's the trailer. Don't worry. They fight with padded swords. Just one step from being in a padded room.

The bad boys of Darkon call themselves Mordom, or did before they disbanded shortly after the documentary was made. Mordom is described as the all-dominating imperialistic force that hasn't lost one of these glorified pillow fights in 15 years.

Can you imagine how incredibly insufferable these Dungeons & Dragons superfriends are when they finally feel like they have a modicum of power? A lifetime of being a loser, 25 years of living in your parents basement, of being scorned by women -- none of it matters For these three hours, on this glorious morning, on this soccer field in greater Baltimore.

Cast aside the fetters of your nerdom, for today you are Mordom. All powerful. All controlling. The nerd de tutti nerds. You are the jock. You get the cheerleader. You have great hair and great skin.

I can't help but think of the funniest ten minutes of television ever, when Triumph made fun of the Star Wars nerds. So funny, I had to distill it in two parts.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can you imagine how lame and passive you must be to allow yourself to be "killed" in the early stages of a battle involving padded swords?

Why would you even allow yourself to be killed ever?

My Darkon character would be called Nerdslayer the Immortal, and I wouldn't stop until run through with an actual sword.

November 14, 2007  
Blogger sileru said...

Oh Baltimore, I hardly knew you.
To think I lived here for years and never knew such a -- what is the proper descriptive I am searching for... moronic, lost, ineffective, no I have it -- bunch of losers existed so close! What fun I could have had watching these "fights". Or better yet, sending my loud crazy dogs into their pillow fights and seeing what happened to their new found power?! Or maybe sending some downtown Baltimore thugs into the "battle" with real swords and seeing how that turns out... oh the fun I never knew in this fabled city.

November 14, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is brilliant. I'm so glad these people are out there. In my opinion, this is the funniest 10 minutes of television:
1864 baseball: "Some say a waste of time. Others say an incredible waste of time."
http://popoholic.com/pop-video-google.php?id=-4401082385838966559&hl&title=Conan%20O'Brien%20Video

November 14, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. That is some amazing video. Very troubling.

ahode

November 17, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home