Tuesday, December 11, 2007

What happened, Castlebar?

There was this nice dive bar in Brighton where I used to drink Bud Lights and play darts back when that was what I used to do. It was named Castlebar, though some people called it the "Black Lung Lounge," for even after the state banned smoking in bars, there still seemed to be a haze that lingered beneath the drop ceiling.

The typical Friday night clientele was paint-spattered, drunk and often singing Irish songs over the strains of the juke box.

But because the neighborhood is increasingly full of people like me, the bar decided to upgrade. I lament the passing.

The two tiny, tinny 13-inch TVs are gone, replaced by half a dozen flat screen HD panels. The taps are new. There's a Big Buck Hunter video game in place of the second dart board.

The saddest part of the whole thing is the drink special I noticed with a friend of mine earlier this month: The Pumpkintini.

We asked the bartender, maybe incredulously, "You sell a lot of those?"

"I could sell a Eat-Shit-and-Die-tini, if I put it up on that board."

Guess you can take the dive out of the bar, but not the bartender.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If it has a Big Buck Hunter video game... it can't be all bad.

December 11, 2007  
Blogger Cedar said...

There's a bar in a newly gentrified area of Seattle called the High Dive. I just got the joke.

December 11, 2007  
Blogger Cedar said...

Oh, another story. Back when I was union-organizing, I worked with this guy named Billy--huge dude, 6'4'', muscular, shaved head (maybe having him work on a child care workers campaign wasn't the hottest idea?). Anyway, whenever we went out to drink after work (especially when we were stuck in some podunk town in Iowa), he'd always ironically order the girliest drink on the menu. His favorite time of year was fall/early winter, because he LOOOOVED the pumpintini!

December 11, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home