Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Maybe he'll give me a tip

My bartender won the lottery.

He's a 25-year-old who works at a bar in Kenmore Square called Cornwall's. I've been going there off and on since college, but a lot in the last three years or so. He makes a mean black and tan if you're in the neighborhood. There's also a picture of this cute dog on the wall, so it's a nice place.

Anyway, Billy the hatless bartender won $1 million on a $20 scratch ticket that's part of the Massachusetts Lottery's new Billion Dollar Blockbuster game. That's an expensive scratch ticket, for sure, but it worked out for him. He gets $50K a year for 20 years, which he said works out to about $36,000 annually after taxes. He's going to keep his job.

I don't really play the lottery, but I love thinking about what I'd do with the money if I won. Curse of the Lottery aside, I would of course travel and buy a couple houses. But I think my real dream would be to buy a vineyard and begin a career as a vinter.

How about you?

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Doug Shugarts said...

So that works out to around $700 / week.... I could finally afford the bar tab that I deserve.

February 20, 2008  
Blogger nate said...

dream stealer

February 20, 2008  
Blogger Unknown said...

I already won the lottery with my favorite gal. She's got a blog too you know...
http://boston.com/lifestyle/fashion/stylephile/

February 20, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Better yet, what would Westminster Best in Show winner, Coco do?

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/norfolk-terrier-coco-westminster-dog-show/1414754221

February 20, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ditto, dream stealer

February 20, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would request it to be paid to me in coin form (Sacajaweas please), so I could swim through my fortune Scrooge McDuck style.

February 21, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The states of Massachusetts and New Hampshire have crushed my lottery dreams and taken $4 from my wallet so far this week. Because now I'm convinced I can win if I keep buying quick picks.

It would be cool to pay in gold bars too, so you can have a room full of them.

February 21, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home