Tuesday, December 30, 2008

IPA vs Pale Ale

Beers known as IPAs, or India pale ales, have really exploded in popularity in the last 18 months or so. One of the owners of a favorite haunt told me almost with remorse that more than a third of his taps were IPAs.

In the race to make IPAs distinctive, brewers have really blown the top off the beer. The hoppiness that is the hallmark of IPAs has exploded and alcohol content is way up.

I've been a fan of IPAs for a while, which is why it pains me to say that I'm enjoying them less the bigger they get. I think I'm drifting to pale ales, which aren't so overdone.

If you're a brewer and you're reading this, dial back your IPAs.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Doug Shugarts said...

No kidding. Many IPAs, particularly the more potent offerings from Dogfish Head, have become the swill of the college crowd and are brewed way too sweet, way too strong. I can't imagine any meal that pairs well with this sort of ale.

I much prefer 'dry,' bitter beers, like Pilsner Urquell, Bittburger and Beck's.

December 30, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mmmmmmmmmmm, beer...

December 30, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I could drink a giant IPA with you and Mrs. N-B right now!!! Hau‘oli makahiki hou!

December 30, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home