Monday, February 25, 2008

Long Overdue Props: Vol. Beer

Like many discerning beer drinkers (read: snobs), I for years turned up my nose at British beers. I thought they were too bitter and too uninspired, and for some reason I held it against them that they are served too warm in Britain, even though I was drinking them at the right temperature domestically.

This changed in the last year or so, when I tried about 10 different British beears at an expensive Boston bar. I'm happy now to recognize British beers in my here-and-there series Long Overdue Props.

I don't know why it's taken me long to appreciate these beers. After all, if it weren't for British beer drinkers occupying India, the world would have been denied delicious IPAs, which were hopped so heavily so they'd keep during the long journey around the Cape of Good Hope.

British beers, I salute you.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Jerry Zezima said...

It's not just for breakfast anymore.

February 25, 2008  
Blogger Doug Shugarts said...

Perhaps in your next installment you might discuss great Pilsner beers available in Boston, or the lack thereof.

Pilsner Urquell is the old stand-by, and it's damn good. But I want a Pilsner so bitter and dry that it rips off the back of my throat. It should also pack a respectable punch, which Pilsner Urquell, at around 4%, can hardly deliver.

Let's start with something like Bitburger, but much, much better (bitter).

February 25, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why does no one ever give any props to the Zima?

February 25, 2008  
Blogger Doug Shugarts said...

My observation is that The Claw _always_ gives props to the 'Zima.

So much depends on punctuation.

February 25, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home