Friday, April 21, 2006

Goodnight sweet prince of darkness

The guy with the toughest job in the world, White House spokesman Scott McClellan has resigned. In his honor, let's look back at a testy and representative exchange between Scott and the press in June 2004.

Q.: Well, let me ask this as a policy question. You said that the President sees this as a serious matter, anybody inside or outside who has information should disclose it. What does the President -- if someone in the administration did disclose this information, what action is the President prepared to take against that individual?

MR. McCLELLAN: Well, now you're asking me to speculate about an ongoing investigation --

Q.: No, no, I'm not. I'm just asking you to talk about what White House policy is.

MR. McCLELLAN: Well, I previously, I think, addressed that question. But the President --

Q.: Well, could you just refresh my memory?

MR. McCLELLAN: -- this is an ongoing investigation and --

Q.: Can you refresh my memory?

MR. McCLELLAN: Well, this is an ongoing investigation, John, and I'm going to direct further questions to the officials in charge of the investigation.

Q.: Yes, but this would be a White House matter. I mean, would the President fire a person if they had -- if it's found that they leaked this information? Would he admonish them, reprimand them -- what would he do?

MR. McCLELLAN: I think that we made that clear previously -- I made that clear previously in briefings, you can go back and look exactly at what I said. It still stands.

Q.: Do you just want to reiterate it now, just so that we've all got it straight?

MR. McCLELLAN: John, I think you can refer further questions to the people in charge of the investigation.
You can find years worth of these wonderfully entertaining transcripts here.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home