Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Long Overdue Props, Vol. III

Balki Bartokomous, fictional character from TV's Perfect Strangers, I'm so happy to give you these props, I will do the dance of joy.

Late of Mypos, the progenitor of Borat, the Hobbes to Cousin Larry's Calvin, you took on the hustle and bustle of Chicago, and found it no match for your simple ways. You dispensed your wisdom weekly from 1986 to 1993, and for many of those years gave me reason to say TGIF. Though I suppose you are not perfect, as you begat Family Matters, which begat Urkel.

I was so happy when you moved on from Mr. Twinkacetti's junk store to go work at the newspaper. Happier still when you taught Cousin Larry that valuable lesson about patience and perseverance in that one episode.

I still remember the lyrics to the bibbibabka song, which I will transcribe for posterity:
When you rolling out the dough/
Just be sure to roll it slow.

If you make the dough to quick/
Bibbibabka make you sick

When you pour the filling in/
Please make sure you wear a grin

When you smile on what you bake/
Bibbibabka turn out swell.

Keep rolling Balki. Keep rolling.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't this the guy whose laugh sounds like the bray of a rutting jackass?

DJS

October 10, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember the episode when Cousin Larry accidently gets a real diamond and a fake diamond mixed up in a hilarious misunderstanding. To determine which is the real diamond, Larry scratches a window, therefore punching a hole in the pane. That was when I learned diamonds have incredible cutting powers, and I actually asked for a diamond ring for Christmas so I could cut out my own holes in windows. Thank you, TGIF.

October 10, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to watch the show with my 5th grade best friend. I feel like I have a memory of us also 'playing' Perfect Strangers after it was over. I was Balki. Nothing like a game made up of role playing, arguments, and a silly accent.

October 10, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You forgot to mention Balki's job at the newspaper delivering the interoffice mail on roller skates inspired you to skate everywhere, even in the house.

October 10, 2006  
Blogger NaturalBlog said...

Shed your cloak of anonymity, Balki fans. Let us laugh at you, as well as with you.

October 10, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My addition to the Balki tributes: I recall reguarly doing the Dance of joy with a friend from my handbell choir in seventh grade. At the end I got to jump into her arms. Does that make me Balki or Larry? Hoy, HI! Hoy, HI! Hoy, HI!Hoy, HI!

October 16, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home