Friday, October 06, 2006

Retro Week: I can't believe this CD club is only a penny

In the final, and most embarrasing, installment of Retro Week, let's see what I might have been writing about, had the NaturalBlog been around in 1991. Let's take a listen...

I'm pretty psyched that mom and dad let me join the BMG compact disc club. And it costs only 1¢! Can you believe it? It's almost like they're giving me these CDs for free. All I have to do is agree to buy four more CDs at regular club prices in the next year, then I can cancel at any time. At any time!

So I'm totally filling out my CD collection. No more dubbing songs off the radio for me.

I got to pick six CDs to start, so I went with (in no particular order):
Vanilla Ice's To the Extreme
MC Hammer's Please Hammer Don't Hurt 'Em
Nelson's After the Rain
Janet Jackson's Rhythmnation
Paula Abdul's Spellbound
Wilson Phillips' Wilson Phillips 1, 1a
I just can't wait these 4-6 weeks for them to arrive.



1. It may seem like I'm making these up to be funny, especially the last one. But I'm not. These are the actual CDs I ordered from BMG.

1a. In my defense, Wilson Phillips was the No.2 album on the Billboard pop chart in 1990, so it's not like I was alone.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hold on for one more day...Wilson Phillips will make a trimuphant comeback

October 06, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In college, I ordered free VHS tapes delivered to me in the name of Travis Bickle and CDs in the name of Francis Zappa.

I never ordered the regular club price selections.

A few weeks after receiving my initial Tapes/CDs, I wrote to complain that I never received them, and that because it took so long and I was so disappointed with the service, I had changed my mind and no longer wanted association with BMG.

They cancelled my membership and refunded to me the shipping costs that they had charged up front.

October 06, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd laugh, but I'm pretty sure I owned three of those.

October 06, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So tell me, N-B, did the future Mrs. N-B don her best fly-girl get-up and sing "Will You Marry Me Boy?"

At least it wasn't M.C. Hammer's "Can't Touch This."

DJS

October 06, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had forgotten all about those CD clubs. My mom would never let me join...

But dubbing songs off the radio--now THAT I have experience with. I had many tapes of "Top 9 at 9" ahows. Nebraska had some excellent radio programming, let me tell you.

October 06, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

DJS,

How'd you know??

October 06, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At this point I'm trying to imagine the request list you're giving to the DJ for your wedding.

I have visions of the entire wedding party doing a troupe dance to "Rhythm Nation," or better yet, "Unskinny Bop."

I wonder how many drinks N-B needs before he can bust a move?


DJS

October 06, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If BLACKSTREET...NO DIGGITY is not played at this wedding...I am walking out.

October 07, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home