Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I think I've watched the State of the Union every year since I was 13, and every year I fall asleep before it's over. I'm not unlike Ted Kennedy or John McCain in this way.

I'd probably be able to make it through the whole thing if there had been less applause for ethanol, wood chips, agricultural waste -- and less hooting and hollering over Congressional earmarks.

Before I clonked out, I was able to make a few observations.

The line of the night goes to MSNBC analyst Chris Matthews for his keen observation on the two figures behind the president, Dick Cheney and Nancy Pelosi. "Here comes a great shot," Matthews opined. "Different parties, different genders. Different apparel, obviously." Nice.

As for what the President said, I know he didn't take on Iran directly, but does anybody else get the sinking feeling we'll be fighting a two-front war before his term is out?

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

re: two fronts

It would befit our president to share the fate of Hitler. If only our troops could be spared.

DJS

January 24, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fell asleep? Big Ted K? More liked passed out from tying one on a bit tight...

January 24, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A good nap during the SOTU is a sign of intelligent life. I would prefer to see the shot of Senator Chuck Grassley clapping, grinning, and laughing like a man opening his front door and finding the Publisher's Clearning House team when Bush mentioned Iowa's favorite crop vis a vis alternative fuel subsidies. I'm surprised the sound of that man cackling uncontrollably didn't wake Teddy up from across the aisle.

January 25, 2007  
Blogger sileru said...

Yes, Sen. Grassley's response was comical. But then, so was the entire audience, considering they all seemed to go almost as wild as well. I guess when you have two hundred candidates for president and all looking to appear "Iowa-friendly" before the caucuses you will get that sort of reaction.

January 26, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home