Tuesday, May 29, 2007

My favorite building in town

Today I shout it out to the Landmark Center in Boston, which I am officially designating my favorite building in town. As you can see at right, it stands tall and unbending, hints of art deco against a sun-streaked sky.

It sure is pretty now, but I think I liked it even more 10 years ago, before a major rehab that brought a Best Buy, Bed Bath & Beyond, and Blue Cross.

Why is it that I liked that building better when it was battered and broken -- windows with no glass, a flagpole with no flag -- I can't say why. Maybe because I like potential over practice. Or maybe because at that time, I didn't realize how horrible its parking garage is.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Cedar said...

This is my favorite building in Seattle
http://www.mckinstry.com/Images/projects/amazon.gif
Amazon.com is based out of it. I like the way it mimics the shape of the hill it's one.

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en-commons/thumb/0/01/300px-FedReserveMpls.jpg
And this is my favorite building in Minneapolis. It runs along the Mississippi River, and the curve of the building matches the curve of the river.

May 29, 2007  
Blogger Sebastian Dangerfield said...

Send him to Detroit!

May 29, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home