Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Annual ugly dog appreciation

A Chinese Crested-Chihuahua mix with an abnormally large tongue has been crowned this year's ugliest dog in an annual competition in California.

It's true that two-year-old Elwood, seen at right, is a vast improvement over last year's champ. But the victory must be bittersweet -- not only because he's so ugly but because even despite his hideous appearance he is probably only about one-eighth as ugly as Sam the Chinese Crested who won the contest three years running before dying of fear after he spotted himself in a mirror.

I respect you, Elwood, but you'll never be as great as Sam.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger nate said...

why is that all these dogs are the same breed -- chinese crested? Was this breed bred for its ugliness? Was ugliness seen as a trait beneficial to warding off coyotes, nosy neighbors or are they superior in some other respect?

Were any of the other entrants into the contest another breed? Haven't they ever seen http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061135/?

June 27, 2007  
Blogger Cedar said...

This one is kinda cute compared to Sam.

June 27, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I put Sam on my work computer as wallpaper for a while. I sorta liked the electric thrill of having something so startlingly hideous pop up on my desktop when I closed windows. But the sight of him so offended my officemate that she soon asked me to take him down.

June 27, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Finally, being called a dog has real meaning. I always thought it was unfair to all the cute dogs of the world to be used as a poster species for ugliness.

June 28, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why don't any of them have pupils? The photo of Poppy might be the best thing I have ever seen.

July 06, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home