Monday, April 03, 2006

Volkswagen ads have begun to suck

For years, VW had the Cadillac of ads. There was the "Da-da-da" business in the late 1990s, the very clever promotional material for the new Beetle, and more recently the gag about guys who wear khaki pants.

But the last two new VW campaigns I have seen really really suck.

There was the series of ads featuring the VW "Fast," a little demon-like object that instructed VW owners to speed.

The one I saw more recently was a spoof on the Pimp My Ride phenomenon, where a German engineer (right) puts a hipster's car in a catapult. If it doesn't sound funny here, imagine how bad it is on television.

I'm the target demographic here, and these things don't move me at all.

I'm writing in the hopes that VW executives will heed my call to admit they made a mistake. They should dump their new agency Crispin Porter + Bogusky (who brought us the King; I just hope they're not one and done), and go back to their old firm, Arnold Worldwide.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is that "German engineer" the same guy who played a Nihilist in the Big Lebowski?

April 03, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes and was in fargo

April 03, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The "Fast" commercials were genius. Made me wish I had waited for a GTI instead of opting for the GLI. (And other three-letter car names...)

The five-finger VW German engineer ads have a clever tag line, but fulfills the "Germany is creepy" stereotype that Americans have.

April 05, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I admit it, I bought the Trio CD (Da da da) just because of that damn commercial.

I still listen to it today.

April 07, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Peter Stomare is the actor's name. I have a short of Being John Malkovitch facination with him. Like, what is it like to be such a successful, well-off actor, but still be basically unrecognizable?

http://www.fametracker.com/hey_its_that_guy/stormare_peter.shtml

April 10, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home