Friday, January 27, 2006

The King

With a nod to the Nextel Dance Party, I have to say that my favorite commerical (of all time?) almost certainly involves The King. The freakishly tall Burger King wearing the freakish Mardi Gras-style king mask entertains my soul.

As close as I can tell, he was first seen in the Fantasy Ranch ad that was directed by David LaChappelle and featured the musical stylings of Darius "Hootie" Rucker, who apparently has given up on his career. See The King here pushing model Brooke Burke on a swing. They must've hit it off, because they're now dating. (Please note The King's huge hoodie in those pictures. Hilarious.)

The King then started showing up (creepily) outside people's windows and in their beds. I get that the idea was to "Wake up with The King," but my love of the guy still waned. Just too weird.

Fortunately, The King made a comeback during football season, when he kept intercepting passes and doing stylish endzone dances.

I would declare this advertising campaign an incredible success, except that it hasn't made me more likely to eat Burger King in any way. I can't even remember the last time I ate BK, except for that time that The King was in my bed, and gave me an eggnormous breakfast sandwich.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home