Monday, May 15, 2006

Nine-minute snooze -- why?

An open letter to the guy who decided my alarm would snooze for nine minutes:

Alright, buddy. It's about time we had a talk. I admit that if I had an ounce of discipline, I wouldn't need your little invention. But the NaturalBlog wake-up call comes early, so I need you.

But why nine minutes? Why not three -- at least then I might get so sick of you that I'd get up. But nine -- that's just enough to fall back asleep, realize a tantalyzing dream, then get awoken once more.

If only I'd never learned of your magical powers, perhaps then I would have the upper hand. But I suppose we'll never know what might've been.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger alank said...

from ask yahoo:
Back in 1956 when the snooze button was first introduced, alarm clocks had standardized gears. The snooze gear had to mesh with the teeth of the other gears. Due to the configuration of the gears, a nice, round 10-minute snooze cycle was out of the question, so the engineers had to choose between nine minutes or 10-plus minutes. As we all know, punctuality is a virtue, so the engineers went with nine minutes.

Various attempts have been made to change the nine-minute snooze cycle -- manufacturers have tried five, seven, and ten minutes, but a nine-minute snooze has become the unofficial standard.

now we know. i like your blog. read it nearly every day.

May 15, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home