Monday, June 19, 2006

World Cup soccer -- catch the FIFA

A couple of thoughts on World Cup soccer, which is like a drug that I'm kind of hooked on.

Day games. There are three matches a day on ESPN-2, starting at 8:55 a.m. and running til about 5. This is just about the pefect television line-up for someone who works in the middle of the night, so I'm on board. I wish MLB would take a page from the World Cup book and do their playoffs in Germany. That way, I'd be able to stay up past the fourth inning.

Uruguayan officials: You suck. This weekend's U..S-Italy matchup seemed like an exercise in no-touch soccer. I'll be the first to admit that I don't know the rules about when a yellow or red card is warranted, but I like to think that the Uruguayan referee totally blew it on the calls that led to the ejections of two U.S. players. I think the U.S. should take it out on Uruguay. But since they haven't fielded a soccer team this year, then it falls to our government to bomb Uruguay. I've already laid out a more compelling case than the run-up to the war in Iraq, so I'm pretty sure we can make this happen.

Special World Cup edition of Separated at Birth. I think England's Frank Lampard looks like Nick Lachey.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The World Cup schedule is perfect for everyone.

I like your idea of moving the World Series to Germany...it would get rid of that silly "All Star Game for home field advantage" rule. Now we can just give it to the team with the most German guys.

June 19, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home