Wednesday, January 30, 2008

What the heck is going on here?

I guess it's a demonstration of how quickly a city can go from being full of lovable losers to being drunk on winning. The New England Patriots are four days away from facing the New York Giants in Super Bowl XLII, and the collective reaction in Boston goes something like this: "Ho-hum."

I think it's best summed up by what one Boston businessman told the Globe. "It's crazy to say, but it's the same old, same old," he said. "It's almost like, who hasn't been to one or two of them already?"

Um, me?

And that's not even the worst part. Boston Mayor Tom Menino owes me a Coke, because he totally jinxed the team when he said yesterday that the city had already planned a victory parade. That's right. The day, the time, the route. All that we're missing at this point is the Lombardi Trophy.

I usually think the Boston Herald is a little heavy handed, but today's front page treatment of Mayor Menino goes a little soft on him, I think.


I don't know if the Giants will win, but definitely pick them to cover.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the first comments are very telling, as I have had similar conversations with other Beantown folks... Boston sports have gone from nationally loved lovable losers (anyone say Cubs?) to teams that start to be hated (or at least heavily disliked) for winning "too much". Once apathy towards winning sets in, you will (have dare I say) have begun to nationally be considered right there with you beloved Yankees. Seriously, it is dangerous to expect to win....
Oh, to reclaim the title of lovable losers, instead of just losers...
:)

February 04, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home