Wednesday, November 05, 2008

A bridge crossed

It goes without saying that something historic happened last night. It's the sort of thing that will change the way we see the world forever. I don't really feel like I can overstate it.

I'm referring of course to the debut of CNN's new hologram technology. As Wolf Blizter put it, CNN can now "beam" someone into the studio from hundreds of miles away and make it appear they're speaking face to face with an anchor.

I guess what I don't understand is why CNN would go through all the trouble to fly reporter Jessica Yellin to Chicago, then spend all this money to make it look like she's in the studio. Seems like they could've saved a lot of effort had they just kept her in the studio the whole time.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't think last night was nearly dramatic enough, so I'm glad CNN brought teleporting and shake-the-wall theme songs (projection!) into my living room. Otherwise it would have been pretty darn boring. I mean we were just watching a seminal moment in American history.

November 05, 2008  
Blogger Rachel said...

I believe my quote when I saw Wil.I.am beamed into the studio from Chicago was, "Holy hologram, Batman!" I was only disappointed that they didn't do something cool with his hologram when the interview was over... Warp noises with a streak of light? A Holo-explosion? I dunno.

November 05, 2008  
Blogger Lucie said...

Ding Dong The Witch is Dead. God Bless America.

November 05, 2008  
Blogger Cedar said...

Ha! I saw this too. I was at a crowded party and only caught a glimpse of it on the big screen TV and was like, "What the hell is going on?" It struck me as uncanny even frmo twenty feet away.

November 06, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home