Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Wish List: Sweet orange jacket

Of all the .com busts of the late '90s and early '00s, perhaps none was more spectacular than Kozmo.com, the greatest ever business to never have a business plan.

For those of you who weren't lucky enough to live in a big city in the all-too-brief Kozmo era, I will summarize. You logged on to their web site, ordered any product in any quantity, and some kid with a messenger back would bring it to your apartment.

Need to see the second season of the Sopranos on DVD? Kozmo. Got a hankering to play Grand Theft Auto? Kozmo. How about some Ben & Jerry's Chunky Monkey at 10:45 at night, during a snow storm? Kozmo.

And the only thing brighter than its corona-like flameout was the bright orange of the jackets worn by its messengers.

I saw a dude wearing one of these jackets at a baseball game a few weeks back (coat in June? Yep, it's New England), and I've decided I want one. So if you're shopping for a wedding present for me and the future Mrs. NaturalBlog, please keep it in mind.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Send the jackets!!!!
I miss Kozmo and would still use it, despite not living in a college dorm. The reason it failed? It didn't deliver beer.

June 21, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You missed the opportunity. Shortly after Kozmo's bust, as I recall, Ocean State Job Lot and/or Building 19 sold the remaining unworn Kozmo jackets, messenger bags and possibly other Kozmo paraphernalia. I wish I'd known that someday you'd want this for your wedding present. You know how I love to buy Good Stuff Cheap.

June 21, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think Kozmo ever made it to Nebraska...

June 21, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Would you settle for a Kozmo T-shirt?

June 21, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

kozmo really hit its short-lived stride during my freshman year at bu. i'm sorta hesistant to admit this next bit, but wickedlocalgirl and friends may have drunk-dialed kozmo at like 2 am at night, requesting pizza, french fries and the like. pretty sure the messenger never came. or maybe my friend was just making out with him.

June 22, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home