Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Hey Chuck? Go back to the drawing board

I've been meaning to blog for some time about these annoying ads from Charles Schwab. I've been seeing them every 15 minutes or so during the baseball playoffs, which is why I'm finally writing about them now.

You may have seen them -- basically it's a person lamenting their current broker, but instead of it being an actual person, it's a strange Dick Tracy-type animated figure doing the complaining.

Apparently the process of turning a real person into a cartoon is known as rotoscoping. You may remember it from the greatest music video ever made, Take on Me. Rotoscoping was great for A Ha, but I just find it creepy in advertising by brokers.

I guess Schwab was trying to stand out from the crowd with these ads, but what's the point in standing out from the crowd in a creepy way? That's the strategy I used in junior high, and it didn't seem to work very well.

If I could talk to Chuck, I'd suggest he stick with that winning formula from a few years ago: Mary Jo Fernandez.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Sebastian Dangerfield said...

Those ads suck.

As a general rule, I boycott companies that employ annoying advertisements. I try to avoid positive reinforcement for misbehavior.

That said, I bend the rules for schwab- they pay 4% interest on a checking account & repay foreign atm fees- every atm is my atm.

(no, I do not work for them or have any other financial interest in their doing well...)

October 17, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home